Corigliano Calabro is a town of
nearly 40,000 inhabitants,
situated in the middle of the
Plain of Sybaris.
The old town is situated on
Serratore hill on the right side
of Coriglianeto creek, where
the inhabitants found shelter in
the tenth century, following the
The heart of the town is the
Ducal Castle, built in 1073 by
the Norman army leader Robert
It is a manor among the best
preserved in southern Italy.
Around the castle are the oldest
quarters, with the palaces of
noble families and the many
The oldest of these include the
church of Santa Maria Maggiore,
dating from the tenth century,
the church of Saints Peter and
Paul and the church of All Saints
(eleventh and twelfth centuries).
The church and monastery of
Saint Francis of Paola date back
to the fifteenth century. The
Saint himself personally built
these buildings during his stay
in Corigliano in 1476. Saint
Francis of Paola is today the
patron saint of the town.
The Ponte Canale overlooking Via
Roma with its two rows of arches
was also built by the Saint.. It
was used to bring water from the
hills of San Francis to the
Another beautiful site right at
the entry of the city is the
church of Carmine which dates
back to the fourteenth century.
The adjoining building of the
Carmelite convent was built in
the thirteenth century.
Nearby the ruins of the
licorice tannery can be visited.
Another important church is that
of St. Anthony of Padua dated
from the 15th century, with its
splendid majolica dome next to
the Liguorini monastery.
The bed and breakfast Porta
Librandi is part of Leonardis
Palace (later called Morgia
Malavolti) built in '500 on top
of the Librandi Gate, the only
opening in the medieval walls
encircling the city that remains
Useful Link - www.castellodicoriglianocalabro.it